Lapis legit or spekkoek (dutch) is a spice flavored multi layers cake. The texture is similar to Baumkuchen in Germany but taste different because of the spices. I’ve tried different recipes and finally found one at pennylane kitchen that I really like.
Resep in bahasa Indonesia coming soon.
Classic Lapis Legit by Hadi Tuwendi
20 egg yolks
500 gr butter, beat until fluffy and pale
400 gr powdered sugar
200 gr all purpose flour
1 Tbsp spekkoek spice. If you are in Germany you can use the
10 egg whites, beat until stiff
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celcius. Grease a 20 x 20 x 8 cm cake tin with margarine or butter, line it with baking paper, then grease the paper again. Mix flour with spekkoek spice.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale in color. Using spatula, fold in butter alternately with the flour mixture. Blend well. Fold in the egg whites.
- Weigh the batter 100 g, pour into the cake tin, spread evenly. Bake using lower and or upper heat for about 5 minutes or until the cake surface is set and golden in color. Turn off the lower heat.
- Take the tin out of the oven, if any bubbles turn up, prick it with a clean toothpick. Using a smoother, press lightly the layer surface to make sure there is no gap formed between layers.
- Weigh the same amount of batter for the next layer, pour on the previous layer, spread evenly. Using the upper heat only, bake for another 5 minutes or until the surface is golden and set.
- Repeat the layering process until the batter is done. To finish the cake, bake using lower heat only for another 7-10 minutes.
- Take the tin out of the oven, let it cool on the rack. Turn the cake out onto a wax paper, peel of the baking paper. Turn it again onto a cake plate, slice and serve.